Sunday, May 4, 2008

Newport, RI - Toddler friendly trip suggestion





We have a 13 month old. My wife and I love to travel. After our son was born we have curtailed our trips. We've been taking mostly day-trips or one-day trips. Now that he is over a year old and the weather in Northeast USA is beautiful, we decided to go to Newport, RI. To our surprise we found a few kid-friendly activities there. So if you have a toddler and want to spend a couple days in Newport, here are some suggestions:
  • Take a drive along scenic Ocean Drive. As soon as you drive into Newport, you will see various signs that will lead you to Ocean Drive. You should take a brief stopover in Brenton Point State Park. Its an appropriate spot for a picnic. We saw many people flying kites. You will definitely get a good view of the ocean here as well. Its usually very breezy there, so make sure you dress your little one(s) properly.
  • On your way back into town from Ocean Drive take Bellevue Street and visit the International Tennis Hall of Fame. It has one of the few tennis grass courts left in the world.




  • Visit the Mansions. No trip to Newport is complete without visiting at least one mansion. We visited the Breakers and Marble House. While Breakers is the most famous mansion there, we had an interesting time with our toddler. None of the Newport mansions allow strollers. So we had to carry our son in our arms. Since Breakers has a guided tour, you have to visit the entire mansion at the tour's pace. But with a toddler its not that easy. After a few minutes our son wanted to get down, but we had to restrain him. However, we had a better time at the Marble House. They have self-guided audio tours. That means you can visit the rooms without any restraint. This worked out very well.
  • Take a side trip to the Blithewold Mansion in Bristol, RI. Blithewold is about a 30 minute drive from Newport. We did not visit the mansion -- we figured it would be very similar to the other mansions in Newport. However, we found that after 3PM the ticket costs just $5 per head. We were pleasantly surprised with its gardens. It has flowers all year round. Daffodils were in full bloom in April.


3 comments:

Swati Thapar said...

Nice to read about this trip of yours... Hum to Dec 2006 ke baad se kahin jaa hi nahin paaye hain. Lets see as to when will we be able to plan our first trip with Naman.

packey said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Betty

http://laptopprocessor.info

packey said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Betty

http://laptopprocessor.info